When you apply for a new ITIN number or a renewal, you must submit documents that prove your identity. You attach these documents with your W-7 form and your tax return when you apply for your ITIN. If you apply for a renewal, then you do not need your tax return.
Immigration Status Doesn’t Matter
You do not need to prove legal immigration status for your ITIN application. Any foreign national who needs to pay U.S. taxes is allowed to have an ITIN, regardless of immigration status. This includes nonresident aliens, resident aliens and the dependents and spouses of citizens, residents or nonresident visa holders.
Verify Foreign Status and Identity
You must demonstrate your foreign status and your identity, which may require a combination of two documents, one of which proves your foreign status and one of which proves your identity. You cannot send in copies of these documents; the IRS only accepts original documents or certified copies from the issuing agencies.
Approved Foreign Status documents include:
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo ID
- Visa from the US Department of State
- Foreign military ID card
- National or U.S. state ID card
- Foreign voter’s registration card
- Birth Certificate
All of these documents also verify your identity. Additional documents for verifying your identity include:
- U.S. or foreign driver’s licenseU.S. military ID
Ways to Verify your Identify to the IRS:
- Passport: This is the best and easiest way to do so. You can submit your passport or a certified copy, and you do not need to include any other documents along with it. A certified copy must be issued by your consulate or embassy.
- Visa and U.S. driver’s license
- Foreign voter’s registration card and birth certificate
- National I.D. card and USCIS photo ID card
There are other combinations of documents that will work. You just need to use the one that makes sense for your situation. If you are unsure about the process, you can use a third-party organization to help with your ITIN application.
Incoming search terms: